28 January 2013

German Soldier Playing With a Cat

Image size: 1380 x 1600 pixel. 446 KB
Date: Thursday, 16 July 1942
Place: Voronezh, Voronezh Oblast, Soviet Union
Photographer: Unknown

Rare photo of German soldier with cat from inside Sd.Kfz.250/1. This vehicle possibly belong to the 2.Kompanie/Kradschützen (motorcycle) Bataillon/Infanterie-Division "Großdeutschland" (before they became 2.Kompanie/Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung/Panzergrenadier-Division "Großdeutschland"). This picture is quite rare because for the first time it shows what the MG mount actually looks like! it appears to be an early MG 34 mount in an Sd.Kfz.250 and also used in the 251. It would have its advantages in long range accurate fire but be a hazard in close defense. The optics arrangement is interesting. The periscope for the sight appears the same as that used in the Richtkries 31, also the 250/3 had the radios and these are not in the usual 'tubular' rack. The time of this picture was taken is more interesting: it looks like mid war 1942-43 but seems to be the soldier is wearing a M43 type shirt with straight pocket flaps and plain pockets, which was generally only seen from 1944... But the unprotected MG mount would put it back to a 251/1 Ausf.A, Polish/France campaign! This is a strange one indeed. Grey shirts with collars were not issued till around 1942 to infantry/panzergrenadier etc. They were issued with the white collarless shirt up to that period. You can see the figure in the background wearing the standard issue white collarless shirt. Best Guess if this is early war, and it must be a privately acquired shirt. This Lafette type was occasionally used throughout the war. It was a bit similar arrangement as the Lafette of the heavy MG (MG34/MG42). What if the shirt is not German at all? The shade is lighter than colour of his Hosen could be a even a Russian shirt! German army collar shirts had very long pointed collars, this one does not, so it might be captured stock from some other army. At the front, troops indeed wore whole variety of different clothing, also officially. GJ (Gebirgsjäger) Truppen were in the beginning allowed to wear civvie Berghosen and Schuhe. Early winters troops received a lot of winter clothing collected via Winterhilfe. No wonder there were mismatch items everywhere. At garrison duty it was a whole other case (possible even right behind the frontline).


Children Playing with Panzer Tiger in France

Image size: 1600 x 1163 pixel. 522 KB
Date: Late 1944
Place: Strasbourg, France
Photographer: Unknown

Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf.E (Sd.Kfz.181) turmnummer 222 of schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 in front of the Palais Rohan in Strasbourg, France, late 1944. This is a very early production vehicle and still wearing transport tracks. The 2.Kompanie/schwere Panzer-Abteilung 504 was sent to Sicily in April 1943. These first 9 Tigers were joined by two replacement Tigers that were supposed to go to the schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 in Africa and 6 more to reinforce the island. 10 were destroyed by Naval Gunfire and 6 scuttled to prevent capture. Only Tiger #222 escaped to Italy. Details: 17/08/1943: The last operating Tiger, number 222, was ferried across the Stretto di Messina. The unit lost all the other Tigers in Sicily; 22/08/1943: After some days, Tiger 222 had to be abandoned too, due to a mechanical breakdown in the winding roads of Calabri.


25 January 2013

American Soldier Inspects Panther Ausf A

Image size: 1600 x 1060 pixel. 351 KB
Date: Monday, 21 August 1944
Place: Falaise, Calvados Department, Basse-Normandie, France
Photographer: Unknown

A knocked out Panzerkampfwagen V ausf A Panther is investigated by an American soldier. The tank "brewed up" and burned, causing the Zimmerit anti-magnetic paste (to prevent magnetic mines from being attached) to crack and burn off. There were 576 Panthers available to the Germans in Normandy between the landings on June 6 and August 25, 1944. Over 400 were destroyed, mostly by concentrated artillery fire and air attacks. As the remains of the German 7. and 15. Armee were constricted to pass through the area of Falaise in August 1944, fighter-bombers (German: Jager-Bombern or "jabos") of the British Royal Air Force and the Americna 9th Air Force, mostly Hawker Tempests and Typhoons and Republic P-47 Thunderbolts armed with rockets, attacked the retreating Axis columns that were now forced to travel in the open daylight. While thousands of Germans escaped, hundreds of vehicles and artillery pieces and tens of thousands of men were killed. The rockets, while inaccurate, had the firepower of a broadside of a naval cruiser, causing devastating damage. Even the 80mm front hull armor of the Panther, which could not be breached by any Allied main tank gun, would crack under a hit from a airborne rocket. The Allies' air superiority was the chief means of dealing with the Panther; the number of Panthers and their superior armor and firepower took a heavy toll of American tanks. 37% of the Allied Shermans were casualties; the expected loss rate was 7%. The 3rd Armored Division alone lost 1,100 Shermans destroyed or damaged out of service in 1944-1945, a loss rate of 580%. The ausf A made up the majority of Panthers in Normandy. Benefitting from the inauspicious combat debut of the Panther at the Battle of Kursk, the ausf A had a machine gun for defense against infantry, and more reliable mechanics than the ausf D that preceeded it. Still, the Panther required more maintenance than the American Sherman, which also greatly outnumbered it. 6,000 Panthers were produced against 50,000 Shermans and 50,000 T-34s. 


24 January 2013

Panzer IVs Pass Knocked Out Universal Carrier

Image size: 1600 x 1066 pixel. 437 KB
Date: Wednesday, 1 July 1942
Place: North Africa
Photographer: Unknown

Two Deutsche Afrikakorps Panzer IV ausf F including turmnummer (turret number) 413 pass a knocked-out captured Carden Lloyd Universal Carrier Mark 1 serial number T33417 armed with a Boys .55 caliber (13.9mm) anti-tank gun. The Universal Carrier is painted in the Caunter camouflage scheme, which used grey, blue, black, sand, and brown paint, or whatever was available, to form straight angular lines that were thought to "dazzle" whomever saw the vehicle in the desert, making it hard to judge size and distance. The Carrier has a Nazi flag over it to prevent an air attack by friendly German aircraft; this was common practice to mark captured vehicles with the Swastika flag. Panzerarmee Afrika had more captured vehicles than most other German units, because of lack of supplies. The Panzer IVs, especially the early ausf G models with a longer 75mm KwK 40 L/43 (3 inch) gun, contributed greatly to the Germans' mobility and firepower. Only the M3 Grant/Lee and the M4 Sherman tanks were able to penetrate their armor, and often only with a shot to the rear. The British cruiser tanks and the American M3 Stuart were totally unable to stop the Panzer IV. The Panzer IV ausf G could stop any Allied tank before the tank was in range. The British called the ausf G the "Mark IV Special." After the war the early versions were called the ausf F2. At the second Battle of El Alamein, Rommel had eight Panzer IVs with 75mm KwK 37 L/24 gun and 30 Panzer IV with a long 75mm KwK 40 L/43 gun. 


22 January 2013

The Remains of Russian Tanks Collected by the Germans

Image size: 1600 x 856 pixel. 456 KB
Date: Thursday, 18 June 1942
Place: Soviet Union
Photographer: Kriegsberichter Hahn from SS-PK (Propaganda-Kompanie)

The remains of Russian tanks collected by the Germans. The two tanks in the foreground have a curious construction on top, seemingly from a rocketlauncher or so. It is Soviet BM-8-24 self-propelled gun with Katyusha multiple rocket launchers. It's a type of rocket artillery first built and fielded by the Soviet Union in World War II. Multiple rocket launchers such as these deliver a devastating amount of explosives to a target area more quickly than conventional artillery, but with lower accuracy and requiring a longer time to reload. They are fragile compared to artillery guns, but are inexpensive and easy to produce. Katyushas of World War II, the first self-propelled artillery mass-produced by the Soviet Union, were usually mounted on trucks. This mobility gave the Katyusha (and other self-propelled artillery) another advantage: being able to deliver a large blow all at once, and then move before being located and attacked with counter-battery fire.


General Montgomery Planning the Final Assault on Tripoli

Image size: 1600 x 1582 pixel. 442 KB
Date: Friday, 22 January 1943
Place: Outside Tripoli, Libya
Photographer: Sergeant Silverside from No. 1 Army Film & Photographic Unit

General Bernard Law "Monty" Montgomery (17 November 1887 – 24 March 1976), left, with other officers planning the final assault on Tripoli beside a Humber Mk II armoured car, 22 January 1943. On the next day, The British 8th Army, under the command of General Montgomery, captured Tripoli from Italy. The Italian Governor, Alberto Denti di Piranjo, formally surrendered to the British, relinquishing Italian control of Libya that had started in 1912. This was part of a series of battles that initially started with the Italian occupation of Ethiopia. This thrust was eventually supported by the German Afrikakorps in the hope that the whole of North Africa would be occupied by the Axis forces, ultimately denying the Allies access to the reserves of labour and raw materials in the North African/ Middle Eastern Region. However, during the British Liberation of Tripoli, Germany was deeply involved on a second war front, with Russia. This meant that a depleted Germany force fought in North Africa, and the manoeuvres by Rommel amounted to slightly more than a series of fighting retreats. Each encounter further diminished the Axis' reserves of men and material, while the Allies received reinforcements every day. This was to lead to the ultimate defeat of the Axis forces in the North Africa. Among the Colonies that fought on the side of the British/Allies, were South Africa, New Zealand, Senegal and Australia.

Imperial War Museums, Catalogue number E 21450

21 January 2013

A Destroyed Panzerkampfwagen 35(t) in Poland

Image size: 1600 x 1600 pixel. 513 KB
Date: Monday, 18 September 1939
Place: Poland
Photographer: Unknown

The picture come from a German album, although it depicts a KO'd vehicle. A Pz.Kpfw. 35 (t) a.k.a. Skoda, Lehky Tank-35 brewed up in September 1939, Poland. Note a white cross insignia of the period, painted on the gun mantlet, just to the right of a gun. The photo is an eBay find by Alex Zaretser of "The Armor Journal". There's lots of good photo coverage of the 35's in 1939. Many wrecks as well since they didn't perform well obviously. Incidentally, two Panzer 35's and one Panzer IV KO'd in five minutes on 18 September 1939 by Polish officer aspirant Orlik and his 20 mm armed TKS tankette. Confirmed number of the totally written off Pz.Kpfw. 35 tanks in Speptember 1939 was 77, although Oberst H. Bade in his "Die Bereitstellung des XV AK an der Pilica und Einsatz zwischen Bzura und Warschau, 15-18 September 39, Abfertigungsjahr 1941" mentions a number 89 plus 33 heavily damaged.


German Soldier Rides a Camel on the Russian Front

Image size: 1271 x 1600 pixel. 496 KB
Date: Monday, 21 September 1942
Place: Kuban, Krasnodar Krai, Soviet Union
Photographer: Unknown

German soldier from a Gebirgsjäger (Mountain) unit rides a Bactrian camel in a Russian corn field on the Kuban sector of the Russian front, an unusual mode of transport on the Russian Front in 1942! A numbers of camels are being used by the Wehrmacht in this area south of Rostov where the Germans are fighting toward Caucasus oil. This German picture reached the USA by way of London and published by American propaganda.

AP (Associated Press) photo No.WHB20700APGB

Men of SS Prinz Eugen Riding On a Hotchkiss H-39 During Operation Weiss

Image size: 1600 x 1167 pixel. 374 KB
Date: Wednesday, 20 January 1943
Place: Karst region, Yugoslavia
Photographer: Unknown

The German infantry of 7.SS-Freiwilligen-Gebrigs-Division "Prinz Eugen" riding on a captured French tank Somua Hotchkiss H-39 tank during Unternehmen Weiß, somewhere in the karst region of the western Balkan. There's one fine description of how the Partisans captured a Hotchkiss tanks used by 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen in "Weiß" in the book by Mladen Paver "Bataljon Feniks". The crew had to bail out and they took the bolt action along, so the Partisans had a tank with useless cannon. Tank was shipped to "Main tech.service" and engineeres were told to try and repair the cannon. Željko Kraus (the main engineer) was convinced that he can do that, but nor he, or his associates ever saw cannon's bolt action. They went to the front to check out some AT cannons and howitzers in order to get the idea what they must to. Sketches were made, and 10 days later the job was done! They tried it. After fired shell bolt action jammed and lost it's shape. They made a new one out of better materials - this one was fine, and it served without malfunctions until the end of the war!


20 January 2013

Crew of U-198 Before Her Second Patrol

Image size: 1600 x 1079 pixel. 380 KB
Date: Thursday, 20 April 1944
Place: La Pallice, La Rochelle, Bay of Biscay, France
Photographer: Unknown

Some of the brave crew of the type IX D2 German submarine U-198 (commanded by Oberleutnant zur See Burkhard Heusinger von Waldegg) before her second war patrol at La Pallice, France, 20 April 1944. From left to right: unknown; Obermaschinist Otto Pick (17 March 1913 - 12 August 1944), DKiG 22 December 1943; unknown; Obermaschinist Hans Gottermeyer (29 December 1916), DKiG 22 December 1943; and another unknown. The two friends Otto Pick and Hans Gottermeyer both served together on U-103, and again on U-198, Hans was Diesel-Obermaschinist and Otto Engine-Obermaschinist, after U-198's first war patrol both received the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (German Cross in Gold). Due to skin problems (contained during the first war patrol) Hans couldn't join U-198 on her second war patrol. U-198 was then sunk on 12 August 1944 near the Seychelles, in position 03.35S, 52.49E, by depth charges from the British frigate HMS Findhorn and the Indian sloop HMIS Godavari. 66 dead (all hands lost), but Hans Gottermeyer survived the war!

Eric-Jan Bakker photo collection

Jagdpanzer 38 of 11. Panzer-Division and Panzerjäger-Abteilung 553

Image size: 1600 x 1041 pixel. 556 KB
Date: Monday, 7 May 1945
Place: Černá v Pošumaví, Český Krumlov District, South Bohemian Region, Czechoslovakia
Photographer: US Army photographer

7 May 1945. The war is over for these Jagdpanzer 38s. This image was shot by a US Army cameraman attached to the US 26th Infantry Division. The graffiti on the side of the Jagdpanzer is interesting. It is thought that the series of photo was shot in Černá v Pošumaví (then known as Schwarzbach) on the Czech/Austrian border and shows the surrender of mixed elements of both 11. Panzer-Division and Panzerjäger-Abteilung (Pz.Jg.Abt.) 553 to the 16th S&R Platoon/101st Infantry Regiment/26th Infantry Division. This heavily camouflaged Jagdpanzer 38 has a cover on the muzzle.

"Panzerwrecks: German Armour 1944-45" magazine 3rd edition by Lee Archer and William Auerbach

U-455 Return From Her Patrol At St. Nazaire

Image size: 1600 x 1058 pixel. 357 KB
Date: Tuesday, 16 June 1942
Place: Saint-Nazaire, Loire-Atlantique department, France
Photographer: Kriegsberichter Vater

Kapitänleutnant Hans-Heinrich Giessler (center) with the type VIIC German submarine U-455 (under 7. Unterseebootsflottille) just back from war patrol at St. Nazaire, 16 June 1942, and then welcomed by the commander of 7. Unterseebootsflottille (7th U-boat Flotilla), Kapitänleutnant Herbert Sohler. In his third patrol (lasting 62 days from 16 April 1942), Giessler sunk two British ships, "British Workman" (3 May 1942, weight 6,994 tons from ON-89 Convoy) and "Geo H. Jones" (11 June 1942, weight 6,914 tons from SL-111 Convoy) with the total tonnage 13,908 tons. These would be his only victim on his entire career as a U-boat captain. U-455 listed as missing in the Mediterranean after 6 April, 1944, probably in or around the Ligurian Sea. No record of any action by any of the belligerents is listed and it is suspected that she may have been lost due to an accident! 51 crew dead (all hands lost) including her captain at that time, Kapitänleutnant Hans-Martin Scheibe.

Bundesarchiv Bild 101II-MW-6434-20

18 January 2013

French Troops Supported by American Tanks During the Fighting of the Italian Campaigns

Image size: 1600 x 1055 pixel. 464 KB
Date: Sunday, 14 May 1944
Place: Ausonia, Frosinone province, Italy
Photographer: George Silk

Free French colonial troops supported by American tanks during the fighting of the Italian campaigns, May 1944 (LIFE has wrongfully captioned the month as August 1944!). They passed in front of abandoned Italian M42 Semovente 75/18 850(i) from German Panzerjäger-Abteilung 171/71.Infanterie-Division "Kleeblatt" (Cloverleaf). The Airfix White M3 Halftrack comes with an optional "canvas tilt" piece to cover the back (omitting the Five-oh and mount), and Red Cross markings. These Free French Forces will be some of General Alphonse Juin's mainly colonial troops who cut a swathe through Italy in more ways than one. The French Expeditionary Corps advances into the Ausente Valley, capturing Ausonia, and continue to advance over the Aurunci Mountains toward the next German defensive line, which is not occupied in strength at this time. In December 1943, the 2.Kompanie (also known as StuG Abteilung 1171) has 4 Semovente 75/18 and 10 Semovente 75/34. In the spring of 1944 the 71. Infanterie-Division (Generalleutnant Wilhelm Raapke) moved in central Italy, south west of Cassino. During May-June retreat, division took severe losses and moved to Adriatic sector. On 8th July 1944, the only 3 available  M42 SP fought in Filottrano and in Ancona.

LIFE photo collection

17 January 2013

Generale Adolf-Friedrich Kuntzen and Otto von Knobelsdorff

Image size: 1195 x 1600 pixel. 356 KB
Date: Monday, 1 September 1941
Place: Nevel, Pskov Oblast, Soviet Union
Photographer: Unknown

Two Heer (Army) generals conferred at Nevel, Russia: General der Panzertruppe Adolf-Friedrich Kuntzen (left foreground) and Generalleutnant Otto von Knobelsdorff (right). At this time, Von Knobelsdorff was commander of 19. Panzer-Division, while Kuntzen Kommandierender-General of LVII. Armeekorps (motorisiert). Both unit were subordinated to 9.Armee/Heeresgruppe Mitte in Unternehmen Barbarossa. The 19. Panzer-Division was organized on 1 November 1940 in Wehrkreis XI on the basis of the 19. Infanterie-Division with the newly created Panzer-Regiment 27 (Infanterie-Regiment 59 was transferred to the 20. Panzer-Division) under command of Generalleutnant Otto von Knobelsdorff. In July 1941 it moved to the central sector of the Eastern front until December 1942 when it was transferred south. It was pushed back though Ukraine and Poland and surrendered in Czechoslovakia in May 1945


Panzerkampfwagen IV ausf H (SdKfz 161) of 3.SS Panzer-Division "Totenkopf"

Image size: 1600 x 1009 pixel. 788 KB
Date: Tuesday, 15 August 1944
Place: Modlin, Masovia, Poland
Photographer: Kriegsberichter Möller from KB-Zug HGr. Mitte

Crew of Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausführungen H (SdKfz 161) of 9.Kompanie/SS-Panzer-Regiment 3/3.SS Panzer-Division "Totenkopf" ("Death's Head") attached to the IV.SS-Panzerkorps at rest at a forest's edge. Note the Panzerschurzen (side armor) and the man accessing the side hatch of the turret. The guy on the left side of the turrent is wearing SS-Erbsenmuster M44 dot camo tunic exclusively for the SS only. The Totenkopf was initially formed from concentration camp guards and men from the SS-Heimwehr Danzig ("Home resistance Danzig"). The division was officered by men from the SS-Verfügungstruppe (SS-VT), of whom many had seen action in Poland. From June 21, 1944, the division was commanded by SS-Brigadeführer Hellmuth Becker. In several furious battles near the town of Modlin in mid-August, the Totenkopf, fighting alongside the 5.SS-Panzer-Division Wiking and the 1.Fallschirm-Panzer-Division Hermann Göring virtually annihilated the Soviet 3rd Tank Corps, which contained a division of communist Poles. The terrain around Modlin is excellent armour terrain, and Totenkopf's panzers exploited this to their advantage, engaging Soviet tanks from a range where the superiority of the German optics and the 75mm high-velocity guns gave them an edge against the T-34s. Later, IV.SS-Panzerkorps attempted to relieve the city of Budapest in December 1944 but were stymied by tough Russian resistance and poor coordination with other German units. By May 1945, they were within reach of the American forces, to whom the division officially surrendered on May 9. The Americans promptly handed Totenkopf back to the Soviets, and many Totenkopf soldiers died in Soviet Gulags. War photographer Möller was with 3rd SS "Totenkopf" in 1944, e.g. with parts of 9th Company (Tiger)/SS-Panzer-Regiment 3 in Warsaw.

Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-695-0406-03

Panzerkampfwagen IV ausf G tanks on the Move

Image size: 1600 x 816 pixel. 293 KB
Date: Tuesday, 6 July 1943
Place: Kursk, Kursk Oblast, Soviet Union
Photographer: Unknown

A pair of late-model Panzerkampfwagen IV ausf G tanks, with armored “skirts”on their turrets to set off hand-held anti-tank weapons. The ausf G was the first version of the venerable Panzer IV to carry the long-barreled 75-millimeter gun, which allowed the workhorse of the panzer legions to defeat the armor of the Soviet T-34. At first designated the ausf F2 in March 1942, and then redesignated Ausf G in May. When the British encountered the ausf G in North Africa, they nicknamed it the "Mark IV Special", since it was superior to any American or British tank at the time. The installation of the new gun increased the overall weight of the tank and reduced its speed. 1475 Ausf G were produced by Krupp-Gruson, Vomag and Nibelungenwerke. Both the F2 and G variants were designated Sd.Kfz.161/1. The F2 and early G models had a two-piece turret hatch access to the commander's cupola; later models, like the ones shown, had a single piece hatch. After March 1943, an additional 412 Ausf Gs were produced armed with a newer 75mm gun; designated Sd.Kfz.161/2. Ausf G featured new simplified design turret mounted with smoke grenade launchers.


Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf N of Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501

Image size: 1600 x 961 pixel. 482 KB
Date: Friday, 1 January 1943
Place: Tunisia
Photographer: Unknown

The commander of a Panzerkampfwagen III ausf N medium tank stands on his turret to locate targets. After Operation Torch landed 225,000 Allied soldiers in North Africa, the Germans and Italians built up their forces. During November 1942 transports brought to the ports of Tunis and Bizerte 176 tanks, 131 artillery pieces, 1,152 vehicles, and 13,000 tons of supplies. Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 (Heavy Tank Battalion 501) arrived in Tunisia between November 23, 1942 and early January 1943. To assist their Tiger Is with reconnaissance and anti-infantry duties, the Panzer III ausf Ns (Sturmpanzer IIIs) were sent along. Their 75mm short-barreled guns were excellent infantry support weapons, and their speed and reliability rendered effective assistance to the high-maintenance Tigers. By Christmas Day 1942 twelve Tiger Is and sixteen Panzer IIIs were in Tunisia, and after the occupation of Southern France and the rest of schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 arrived, the twenty Tiger Is were slowly whittled down by offensive operations. By March 10, 1943 only six of the heavy tanks and twelve of the mediums were operational. Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 and 504 were merged on March 17. On May 12, the remaining units surrendered to the Allies. Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 was reformed by elements that were flown out before the collapse and fought on the Eastern Front. Date and location estimated. 


Destroyed Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.J in Normandy

Image size: 1600 x 1239 pixel. 521 KB
Date: Thursday, 3 August 1944
Place: Pont-Farcy, Basse-Normandie, France
Photographer: Unknown

In a village left in ruins, a GMC truck passes behind the German medium tank PzKpfw IV Ausf. J of the German 2. Panzer-Division, destroyed by soldiers of the 35th U.S. Infantry Division, August 2, 1944. Looks like knocked out in airstrike or by heavy artillery barrage. Note barrel appears still secured for travel, and also note shattered buildings and wall. this Panzer IV of the 2. Panzer-Division (the three-pronged fork is visible on the frontal shielding side controls) formed part of the 8 Kompanie of Panzer Abteilung II of Panzer-Regiment 3 which blocked circulation with the crossroads of the center of Pont-Farcy, it was pushed back on the other side of the crossroads. Membership of the tank is determined by the tactical sign - yellow trident. The tank can be seen scattered fragments of uniforms, including pants, hanging on the gun. In the background you can see a passing American Sanitary triaxial truck GMC CCKW 353 2.5 ton 6X6 U.S. Army ensuring a medical mission (Red flag Cross). Picture taken during the period from 3 to 5 August 1944. The village is liberated on August 2 by the 35th Infantry Division.

Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives USA